President & CEO
Company: Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia and the Eastern
Posted on: January 13, 2022
Position OverviewThe President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
will serve as the principal ambassador for the Foodbank of
Southeastern Virginia. In doing so, they will play a key role in
the future growth and advancement of the Foodbank's mission and
vision. To this end, the CEO will work in close collaboration with
key internal and external stakeholders as well as staff ensuring
the necessary funding, infrastructure, people, and systems are in
place to support this rapidly growing organization that plays an
essential role within the community. The CEO must serve as a
champion for the Foodbank's values related to quality, people,
stewardship, collaboration, and equity.
The successful candidate will be an extraordinarily talented
nonprofit leader who brings a proven track record in high level
strategic planning and operational execution within a complex
organization. The CEO must be an ambitious leader who has the
prerequisite skills and necessary drive to effectively allocate and
oversee resources in support of this vital organization with
increased community need. Success in this role will be measured by
effective organizational oversight, general management skills, as
well as strong written and presentation skills. The CEO must be an
entrepreneurial leader who is flexible in approach and comfortable
in supporting a rapidly evolving organization.
The CEO has the overall responsibility to provide vision and
leadership for the Foodbank's operations and business units,
including developing and implementing strategy related to
organizational effectiveness. As such the CEO must be a proven
leader adept at overseeing a sophisticated operation involving
fundraising, capital planning, facilities management, distribution,
organizational excellence, safety, program management, and other
Key ResponsibilitiesThe new President & Chief Executive Officer
will join the Foodbank during a period of sustained growth and
excitement. As such, they will provide strategic oversight and
day-to-day direction during a pivotal period of time. As the
Foodbank continues to provide food to those facing food insecurity
while addressing the broader root causes of hunger, they need an
astute leader adept at leveraging their collective strengths,
building a sustainable infrastructure, effectively overseeing human
and fiscal resources, and fostering a welcoming and inclusive
environment This highly visible role will serve as a strategic
thought partner to the Board and other key internal and external
The successful CEO will address the following opportunities and
- Develops an operations vision, strategy, roadmap, and metrics,
and leads the teams as well as collaborates with partners to ensure
effective operational execution.
- Builds highly effective partnerships with the Foodbank Board,
senior leadership, staff, and external partners to develop and
execute shared goals.
- Aligns resources with Foodbank's priorities to meet the needs
of the community through partnership, continuous improvement, and
- Acts as advisor to Board on all aspects of finance and
operations, including, policy changes, and business strategies and
- Develops and manages the operating and capital budgets ensuring
effective stewardship and resource allocation.
- Develops strategies around human capital, physical
infrastructure, program management, and sponsors to meet Foodbank's
- Maintains all financial records of the Foodbank in a manner
that is consistent with generally accepted accounting principles
- Positions the Foodbank as the principal agency in the service
area for resolving food insecurity and addressing the root causes
of food insecurity with partner agencies.
- Develops and implements public relations strategy and program
that effectively communicates the mission and services of the
Foodbank to the community at large.
- Fosters and cultivates positive relationships with partner
organizations, relevant advocacy groups, government leaders, other
foodbanks, vendors, consumers, donors, and volunteers.
- Acts as spokesperson and advocate for hunger and food
insecurity issues throughout the community as well as serves as the
principal advocate for local and state governmental programs.
- Monitors and interprets best practices and trends in the fields
of service in which the Foodbank is engaged and in the food
- Oversees program operations, ensuring that they are carried out
in an efficient, safe, and effective manner.
- Ensures that adequate inventory levels for food distribution
programs are established and maintained.
- Evaluates programs periodically and recommends appropriate
action including establishing new programs as needed.
- Establishes and maintain safe and reliable physical
- Monitors the provision of services, levels of service, and
- Ensures that the organization's business processes are
compliant with relevant legislation, and that the organization
operates according to the principles embedded in Feeding America
- Develops and institutes metrics for monitoring and managing the
performance of services with respect to their contribution to
business performance and corresponding benefits.
- Hires, develops, evaluates, and retains a diverse and highly
qualified team of professionals.
- Cultivates a diversity, equitable and inclusive culture.
- Fosters a culture of innovation, transparency, and
accountability in operations.
- Promotes service excellence at all levels of the
- Develops an organizational model to deliver effective and
efficient services to the community. Establishes organization
goals, determines the resource needs to meet these objectives, and
Year One Critical Success Factors
- Ensures the Foodbank is adequately addressing the immediate
needs surrounding hunger and food insecurity while focusing on root
causes and effective interventions.
- Creates and fosters a welcoming and inclusive environment that
inspires and empowers staff, donors, and volunteers aimed at
increasing participation, innovation, and an elevated sense of
community and belonging.
- Bachelor's degree required in social work, business
administration, management, or related field.
- Candidates with a combination of education, experience, and/or
training that provides the required knowledge and skills for the
position may be considered in lieu of education/experience at the
Professional ExperienceThe ideal candidate will have high-level
operations leadership experience, excellent interpersonal and
communications skills, and the ability to lead and implement change
in a thoughtful manner. The candidate must possess significant
experience as a senior executive in a non-profit organization of
relevant size, scale, and complexity, with a broad background in
finance, operations, and fundraising with a command of best
practices in the field. The successful candidate will possess many
of the following skills and characteristics:
- 10+ years' experience of progressive leadership experience
within the non-profit industry preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of fundraising, marketing, financial
management and long-range planning.
- Demonstrated experience in managing and leading people as well
as fostering a welcoming and inclusive environment.
- Ability to effectively engage with a variety of people from
differing socio-economic, cultural, religious, and ethnic
- Proven track record of successful financial management coupled
with the ability to develop, read, and interpret financial
statements and manage budgets.
- Excellent leadership skills, business acumen, and ability to
effectively manage, lead and supervise a passionate and dedicated
- Excel at strategic thinking, be open to new perspectives and
better ways to do things; and be creative, a visionary, and manage
- Demonstrated experience in decision-making that has an
- Strong leadership, mentoring, strategic planning, change
management, collaboration, and negotiation skills.
- Demonstrated executive-level communication and influencing
skills with the ability to resolve issues, build consensus among
groups of diverse internal/external stakeholders, and negotiate and
- Strong analytical, critical thinking and problem-solving
- Interested and qualified candidates are welcome to submit a
resume and cover letter to: Foodbank-SEVA@kornferry.com
Keywords: Foodbank of Southeastern Virginia and the Eastern , Hampton , President & CEO, Accounting, Auditing , Onley, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!