Assistant Director of Finance
Company: Hampton Roads Transit
Posted on: March 8, 2019
The Assistant Director of Finance assists the Director of Finance in managing the Accounting Department and supervising staff within the department. Strong leadership skills, excellent analytical and problem solving abilities, ability to work and interact with departments throughout the organization, exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
Essential Job Functions:
(Duties listed are not intended to be all inclusive nor to limit duties that might reasonably be assigned.)
- Supervises and directs the work activities of Accounting Staff.
- Assists the Director of Finance with the preparation of financial reports such as monthly balance sheet, income statement, report on changes in financial position and budget variances.
- Assists with establishing and implementing agency-wide accounting policies, procedures, work standards, and controls for payroll and fixed assets.
- Ensures general ledger accounts are reconciled to their related ledgers and adjustments to the general ledger are made accordingly.
- Establishes controls and systems to ensure accuracy and security of financial records and source documents
- Works on special projects as requested
- Conducts ad-hoc analysis as need.
- Assists with providing support to other departments and external agencies for any documentation required in support of the FTA triennial reviews, drug and alcohol audits, independent audits, state audits, EEO Program audit, etc.
- Communicates policy decisions to other departments, provides guidance regarding on financial policies and procedures and questions related to budget vs. actual reports.
- Manage records created and received in compliance with the Hampton Roads Transit Records Management Policy and Procedures.
- Responsible for maintaining a general awareness of HRT's EMS. Responsible for handling all related job responsibilities in accordance to HRT's Environmental Policy, relevant EMS Standard Operating Procedures, and Emergency Management Plan.
- Responsible for ensuring employees in their respective functional areas have adequate training and tools necessary to meet the requirements of the EMS procedures and SOPs.
- Prepare and/or coordinate with other departments any documentation required in support of the FTA triennial reviews, drug and alcohol audits, independent audits, state audits, EEO Program audit, etc.
Required Knowledge, Abilities and Skills essential to Job Functions:
Required undergraduate degree in accounting, business administration or finance with a min of 3 yrs experience and 1 year supervisory experience. MBA, CPA or CMA required. Required knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, especially as it relates to enterprise fund accounting, general ledger, grants accounting, fixed assets accounting, financial reporting, and monthly close procedures.
Required Software Knowledge and Skills essential to Job Functions:
Proficiency in using computer systems and the listed software applications associated with performance of assigned work is essential. Basic problem solving skills associated with software applications used is expected. Advanced Level proficiency in Microsoft Excel, including Pivot Tables, Vlookups, and logical analysis statements to aid in analyzing data. Software usage relevant to job duties will be evaluated.
Email, Spear, Internet, Wachovia Connection, Redi VA, Microsoft Office Suite, WinZip, PS Finance, nVision, ECHO system, Citrix
Training and/or Education:
Bachelor's Degree from an accredited four-year college or university in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, Public Administration, or other related field; previous experience in grant administration a plus; demonstration of adequate analytical skills required; must demonstrate effective oral and written communication. CPA or CMA preferred.
Three to five years experience in all aspects of accounting. Proven supervisory experience
Licenses or Certificates:
Virginia Driver's License
Advanced Level in MS Office. This position is classified as non-essential personnel.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work requires high-speed operation of keyboard devices.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Work involves meeting multiple demands on a timely basis.
Keywords: Hampton Roads Transit, Hampton , Assistant Director of Finance, Accounting, Auditing , Hampton, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!