Program Support Assistant
Company: Department of Veterans Affairs
Posted on: May 3, 2021
The primary purpose of this position to provide a wide variety of
administrative, clerical, and technical support to Nutrition and
Food Service. The incumbent in this position performs work that
supports budget analysis and administration and the incumbent also
uses office automation programs and software such as word
processing, spreadsheet and database management in support of the
clerical and administrative work as well as copy machine, fax
machine, scanner and email.
Learn more about this agency
* Prepares a wide variety of recurring and nonrecurring
correspondence, reports, and other
* Keeps/types meeting minutes, agendas and reports.
* Collects, assembles, and compiles data for administrative and
* Uses email to compose and retrieve correspondence.
* Provides clerical support such as answering the telephone,
referring visitors, or providing
information about the office, its functions, and standard operating
procedures, and similar
* Edits, composes, and review letters and reports for accuracy and
* Assists computer users regarding selection of applications and
appropriate formats and
procedures for tasks.
* Schedules appointments, coordinates meetings, and/or arranges
* Orients and trains others on computer use.
* Screens calls and personally answers calls when the requested
information concerns routine
and procedural requirements.
* Maintains the appointment calendar and reminds supervisor/staff
members of subject matter prior to meetings.
* Collects, compiles, and/or tracks data and statistical
* Receives, processes, and reviews documents and reports.
* Establishes, updates, and maintains office files and records.
* Prepares, executes, and/or tracks program specific
* Prepares and submits documentation for training and travel.
* Serves as official timekeeper - notifying supervisors when leave
limits are exceeded, posting staff time and attendance, processing
* Organizes data into Access databases or spreadsheet formats.
* Performs database file searches.
* Performs office automation duties using such software
applications such as word processing, spreadsheet, electronic mail,
desktop publishing, calendar, database, and/or graphics.
* Uses spreadsheet software to develop and change spreadsheets in
order to graphically display data.
* Uses patient electronic health care record to access and retrieve
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday, 8:00am-4:30pm With Sat. and Sun.
Telework: Not Available
Virtual: This is not a virtual position.
Position Description/PD#: Program Support Assistant/99930A
Relocation/Recruitment Incentives: Not Authorized
Financial Disclosure Report: Not required
* Job family (Series)
0303 Miscellaneous Clerk And Assistant
* Assistants, Office
* Office Assistants
Conditions of Employment
* You must be a U.S. Citizen to apply for this job
* Designated and/or random drug testing may be required
* Selective Service Registration is required for males born after
* You may be required to serve a probationary period
* Subject to background/security investigation
* Selected applicants will be required to complete an online
To qualify for this position, applicants must meet all requirements
by the closing date of this announcement, 05/13/2021.
Time-In-Grade Requirement: Applicants who are current Federal
employees and have held a GS grade any time in the past 52 weeks
must also meet time-in-grade requirements by the closing date of
this announcement. For a GS-06 position you must have served 52
weeks at the GS-05. The grade may have been in any occupation, but
must have been held in the Federal service. An SF-50 that shows
your time-in-grade eligibility must be submitted with your
application materials. If the most recent SF-50 has an effective
date within the past year, it may not clearly demonstrate you
possess one-year time-in-grade, as required by the announcement. In
this instance, you must provide an additional SF-50 that clearly
demonstrates one-year time-in-grade.
Note: Time-In-Grade requirements also apply to former Federal
employees applying for reinstatement as well as current employees
applying for Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998 (VEOA)
You may qualify based on your experience as described below:
* Specialized Experience: You must have one year of specialized
experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade GS-05 in the
normal line of progression for the occupation in the organization.
Examples of specialized experience would typically include, but are
not limited to: experience with clerical and administrative
procedures, various office skills; and carrying out day-today
administrative support activities; Working in an administrative
position which required preparing correspondence, reports and
graphs utilizing a variety of computer program. Skill in the use of
a variety of computer software such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Power
Point and other software applications; Interacting with executive
leadership in the VA and private sector, contractors, staff members
as well as Veterans, their family members and/or legal
representatives; Provide/submit requested information to ensure all
due dates are met in a timely and satisfactory manner; Managing a
fast-paced office to include, establishing priorities, set up,
reschedule appointments; Use own initiative to follow-up on action
items and time-sensitive issues with appropriate staff members.
You will be rated on the following Competencies for this
* Computer Skills
* Interpersonal Skills
* Manages and Organizes Information
Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including
volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace
Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional;
philanthropic; religions; spiritual; community; student; social).
Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and
skills and can provide valuable training and experience that
translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for
all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Note: A full year of work is considered to be 35-40 hours of work
per week. Part-time experience will be credited on the basis of
time actually spent in appropriate activities. Applicants wishing
to receive credit for such experience must indicate clearly the
nature of their duties and responsibilities in each position and
the number of hours a week spent in such employment.
Physical Requirements: The employee's work requires some walking,
standing, bending and carrying light items such as books, papers,
files, patient records and handling of supplies. Use and
maintenance of typewriter, fax machine, printer and photocopier
toner cartridges requires careful manipulation.
RESUME REMINDER - Your resume must include the following
information for each job/position listed:
Job title Occupational Series and Grade (if a Federal position)
Duties (be as detailed as possible)
Month & year start/end dates (e.g. June 2007 to April 2008)
Full-time or part-time status (include hours worked per week)
Please be aware that your answers will be verified against
information provided on your resume. Be sure that your resume
clearly supports your responses to all of the questions by
addressing your work experience in detail. Even though we do not
require a specific resume format, your resume must be clear so that
we are able to fully evaluate your qualifications. To ensure you
receive appropriate consideration, please list the duties you
performed under each individual job title. If we are unable to
match your experiences with the positions held, you may lose
consideration for this vacancy. We cannot make assumptions
regarding your qualifications.
* INSTRUCTIONS: VETERANS PREFERENCE DOCUMENTATION REMINDER - You
must submit proper documentation if you are claiming eligibility
for veterans preference, which includes a copy of your DD-214
(member copy 4 or earlier version that shows character of service).
Applicants claiming 10-Point preference should also submit an
SF-15, Application for 10-Point Veterans Preference along with the
required documentation listed on the form (such as verification of
service-connected disability percentage).
For more information on these qualification standards, please visit
the United States Office of Personnel Management's website at
There is no educational substitution at this grade level.
Keywords: Department of Veterans Affairs, Hampton , Program Support Assistant, Other , Hampton, Virginia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!